History of PGHS
On 8th May 1905 Palmers Green High School and Kindergarten was opened by its founder, Miss Alice Hum. Originally located in Number 1, Osborne Road, Palmers Green, the school had twelve pupils when it began, but by 1918 the school had grown to 300 pupils and had moved to Avondale Hall, in Hoppers Road.
Although the Avondale Hall site is where the school is currently located, pupils from the early days would hardly recognise PGHS now since many renovations, alterations and additions have taken place since that time.
The school has always had a strong tradition of raising money for charity. During the First World War the girls helped to raise funds for children in Europe, and made weekly contributions to support a bed in a hospital for soldiers.
Despite the outbreak of the Second World War, PGHS opened its doors as usual in September 1939 and by December it was the only school in the area offering full time education. At this time the neighbouring Keble School for boys shared our building since their own had been requisitioned for the war effort!
The School’s motto – ‘By Love Serve One Another’ – was carefully chosen by Miss Hum to encompass the important Christian convictions derived from her lifelong membership of the Society of Friends (the Quakers). In the world today these values are equally important and have shaped the school’s rich traditions and special ethos.
Every May the school celebrates its birthday with a church service followed by birthday cake.